Saturday, June 4, 2011

2. Ardha Chandrasana with Prada-Hastasana: Half Moon Pose with Hands To Feet Pose

Half Moon Pose
Click here to view this awesome pose in action!
Half Moon Pose
Half Moon Pose is one of the postures I enjoy the most. I think I like it because my body really opened up to it quickly. This pose gives quick energy and vitality; it improves and strengthens every muscles in the central part of the body, especially in the abdomen. It increases the flexibility of the spine, corrects bad posture, promotes proper kidney function, and helps to
cure enlargement of the liver and spleen, dyspepsia and constipation. Additionally, Half Moon Pose increases the flexibility and strength of the rectus abdominus, latissmus dorsi, oblique, deltoid and trapezius muscles.

Benefits
  • Works into the whole skeletal and circulatory systems
  • Opens shoulder joints
  • Good for frozen shoulder
  • Reduces or eliminates pain in lower back
  • Good for abdominal obesity (I credit this pose to my shrinking waistline)
  • Tones the spinal nerves and abdominal organs, improving the bowels
  • Alleviates anxiety and reduces mental stress
  • Stimulates pituitary gland
Hands To Feet Pose
Hands To Feet Pose
I struggle a lot with this pose mostly because I find it hard to grab my heels from behind. I even struggle to grab the outside of my feet and have yet to get my elbows behind my calf muscles. I've seen very little improvement in this pose and it is always challenging for me. That being said, it feels really good right after Half Moon Pose. Hands To Feet Pose increases the flexibility of the spine and sciatic nerves and most of the tendons and ligaments of the legs. It strengthens the biceps, thighs and calves. It also gently improves blood circulation in the legs and to the brain; it strengthens the rectus abdominus, gluteus maxiumus, oblique, deltoid and trapezius muscles.

Benefits
  • Stimulates proper function of the pancreas, kidneys and liver
  • Stretches and stimulates the thyroid and parathyroid glands
  • Regulates hormone production
  • Relieves back pain
  • Corrects bad posture

Today is my 11th class, which means I'm 1/4 of the way through my challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment