Friday, June 10, 2011

4. Garudasana & 5. Dandayamana JanuShirasana

4. Garudasana: Eagle Pose
Note: In Bikram, fingertips should be below the nose (not above head as in picture)

Garudasana is another one of my favourites. I like it because a) I can do it and b) it shows me all the areas in my body that unaligned and out of balance. While I don't fall out of posture in Eagle Pose, my shoulders, elbows and knees are far from being in the correct places. I can also tell that one side of my body is stronger and more flexible than the other. For example, I can almost wrap my right foot behind my left calf muscle but can't even get close with the left foot. It's also much much easier for me to twist my right arm under my left. Interesting... Just recently I stopped interlacing my fingers and can now put my hands into Prayer Position. Small improvements with practice. I also like this posture because just after we have what Bikram calls "Party Time", the only official water break during the class!

Garudasana supplies fresh blood to the reproductive organs and the kidneys, increasing sexual power and control (Say Whaaat?! awesome). It helps firm calves, thighs, hips, abdomen and upper arms. It also improves the flexibility of the hip, knee and ankle joints and strengthens the latissimus dorsi, trapezius and deltoid muscles.

This video is not from a Bikram class, but the practitioner does such a good job and the scenery is so beautiful, I'm using it as my example.

5. Dandayaman JanuShirasana: Standing Head To Knee Pose

Dandayaman JanuShirasana is probably the most challenging posture for me. When I first started out I actually found the first part of this posture quite easy. Now, for whatever reason, I struggle with it every class. Dandayaman JanuShirasana in English means "Standing Head To Knee Pose" and is the first posture in the balancing series. Essentially you are balancing on one leg and trying to put your head to your knee. It's hard.

Because of its difficulty, beginners aren't expected to kick out right away. I mentioned earlier that one side of my body is stronger than the other. I am beginning to kick out my left leg when I'm balancing on my right during second set.

As far as I can go right now.

My goal right now is simply to lock the knee. Sound easy? Try it:

Shift your weight to your left leg.
Bend down and pick up your right foot, interlocking all 10 fingers underneath your foot.
Lock your left knee. You have no knee. Your leg is like a lamppost. Hold it. Meditate. Focus.

Hold it for 1 min. Then repeat with the other side. Then do both sides again but for half the time. Has your quad seized yet? Have you fallen over?

Despite its difficulty, I enjoy this posture because there is always something to improve on. It helps develop concentration, patience and determination: it is a marriage between mind and body.

Benefits
  • improves circulation and flexibility
  • massages digestive and reproductive systems
  • strengthens muscles around knee joint
  • increases pancreatic functions
  • reduces diabetes
  • relieves nervousness
  • improves memory
This video is awesome because it shows students at all different stages! I'm at the stage where I still hold my foot up and am just beginning to kick out. You'll see people fall out. It's important to just get right back in to build up stamina.


No comments:

Post a Comment