Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Yoga Don

Satch, Bohot, Karwa, Hi: the truth is extremely bitter like quinine (Hindi saying).

This is how Bikram Yoga: The Guru Behind Hot Yoga Shows the Way to Radiant Health and Personal Fulfillment begins. Even before the introduction, Choudhury makes his intentions very clear: "Warning: 'I will tell you the truth'". What is this bitter truth he's talking about? The mental and spiritual crisis plaguing America. Whoa... pretty bold statement. But then again we're talking about Bikram. I've heard time and time again that the Guru is a bold, unapologetic man who will tell you the truth, not matter how bad it tastes.

Today, a teacher at the studio was telling me about her first encounter with Bikram at teacher training. In front of all of her peers, Bikram barked at her "Are you a fucking idiot? Are you? Yes, yes, you're a fucking idiot" (paraphrased). It's been said that if you attend his seminars he'll flat-out tell you what's wrong with you: "You're fat, stupid, lazy etc." Is there a method behind his belittling? Apparently. The purpose of yoga is to find peace, stillness: Nothing can steal happiness, peace away from you: if anyone does make you angry, you are the loser; if someone can allow you to lose peace, you are the loser. Bikram is simply trying to steal that peace and if you can't take it, he's won.

No doubt because of his eccentric attitude and authority Bikram has
earned the title of "The Yoga Don". The following are some of the Yoga Don's more ridiculous and colourful statements made during teacher training:
  • The whole Bikram class is one big brainwashing session.
  • I have balls like atom bombs, two of them, 100 megatons each.
  • Nobody fucks with me.
  • America's biggest problem is too much freedom.
  • Western people can't meditate. In India people really can't meditate either.
  • When in Rome, I must do as the Romans do. When in America, copyright and trademark.
  • I'm feeling sleepy because I haven't gone shopping for a long time... I haven't bought a car for two years - no, I bought a car last month, a fancy new Chrysler.
  • I should be the most honoured man in your country.
  • Don't throw up on the carpet. It's new.
  • Why are your legs spread? Women should not spread their legs any time, anywhere! Only in emergencies.bikram-yogadon-choudhury-blacksuit
  • Downward Facing Dog? That's not yoga. That's American circus.
  • I control my kingdom like a gagster. It's the only way it works. In America your biggest problem is you have a second choice. So you have an abuse of choices and too much freedom. It's like a loaded gun in a kid's hand.
  • How many Rolls-Royce do I own? I don't know. 35? I give every staff member of mine a car, something like a Jeep Cherokee. I have 17 vans.
  • American Yoga teachers are clowns. Circus clowns. They completely fucked yoga. They crucified hatha yoga in America.

Gee Bikram, tell us how you really feel.

These statements are insane and inane. That being said, the yoga works. It really does. Day 4 was amazing! I did so well in my postures, especially Standing Bow-Pulling Pose. I feel energized, happy and at peace. What more could I ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment