Monday, May 23, 2011

The Plan

For the last eight years I have been a nomad. Since 2003, I have traveled to 33 countries and lived in 7 apartments in 4 cities in 3 different provinces. Along the way I've met some extraordinary people: students, poets, camel herders, soldiers, office workers, and endless wanderers. Wherever I have lived I have always met similar minded people - people who value freedom over money, travel over the ordinary and mundane, and good company over material goods. Well, a funny thing has started to happen to me, a shift in my philosophy of life. I've been keeping track of it, watching it creep in through my everyday decisions and the people I chose to spend my life with. I have a burning desire to be settled, to have (some) money, to have an ordinary job and a quiet, comfortable place to live with a kitchen stocked with KitchenAid appliances. No, I haven't sold my soul to capitalism; I've grown up (cue resounding sigh of relief from mother). At first I thought it was all the weddings and babies that were suddenly popping up (and out) around me: the dreaded biological clock (meh, I don't believe that for a second). Then I tried to blame advertising: that tanned girl, in the flowery romper with a straw hat, she shops at Banana Republic and she looks pretty happy. Maybe I want that, too. I'm not exactly sure what is pulling me towards normalcy, but what I do know is that I'm tired. Really tired. Like mono tired (note: I do not have mono).

Along with travel and moving, I've accomplished a lot in the last eight years. I have two Bachelors degrees and few diplomas and certificates. What's more, I have had 11 jobs and 8 volunteer positions. In between I've tackled new hobbies too: swim team, running club, origami, bellydance, Spanish lessons, photography, scrap-booking, German club and the list goes on... From the outside I must look like a lost puppy, a true jack of all trades master of none, dabbling in this and that with a finger in every pie. But it's my firm contention that I do these things because I want to do them. I am genuinely interested in many things and I like trying things and checking them off my list. Call it Type A if you want. I call it living.

But all this living has taken a toll on me and now more than ever I need a change (yes, another one apparently). With all this change and moving and new people, I've neglected my health - mentally, physically and emotionally.

Hence, my summer of savasana.

I am officially taking a break this summer and a rather long one. I'm not doing anything (read as only having two very part-time jobs, taking one online course, and moving across the country) for 3 1/2 months. Then, I'm getting a real job and a real apartment and a real life. Welcome adulthood! But, for any of you who know me well, I can't just do nothing for 3 1/2 months. I need a plan, something to do, something to check off (uh oh, it's beginning to look like I'll never break this pattern). I have exactly 68 days left in Ottawa before the big move back West and I need a challenge. So, I have decided to take full advantage of my work-share employment at Bikram Yoga Ottawa and am doing a 45-day challenge. Now, a normal Bikram challenge means going to yoga every day for a set amount of time. I may be determined but I'm also realistic: every day is just not going to happen. So I'm designing my own challenge. Since I work Sundays at Bikram I won't be taking a class on Sundays. I also have various events over the summer (eg. graduation) and will not be doing classes on those days. Sooo, with all of that in mind I will attend 45 classes in 68 days with my smiling, happy face. What's more, I will blog about my experience (good or bad) and will hopefully enlist in some support from my friends, family and online community. If you'd like to support me, just check back here often and leave a comment or two!

So, Day 1 starts today. Bikram @ 4pm.

See you on the mat!

J

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great idea! Good luck! Soon you'll be able to bend over backwards...for yourself! May this summer be a relaxing and healthy one!
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my girl... always looking for the next challenge (and if there isn't one on the horizon, she creates one!)

    You've made a healthy decision to invest in your well being. Hope it brings you rest, rejuvenation and restoration this summer. Good luck!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! How inspiring!
    I very much understand the desire for "normalcy" or a break, or "settling down" (I hate hate hate that term). There is something to be said for knowing where your next paycheck is coming from, building up a stable group of local friends, and investing yourself in a role long enough to evolve and develop within it. However I don't believe that doing that and being a free spirit, continuing to discover new things, are mutually exclusive! So WELL DONE. I salute you on acknowledging your tiredness, seeing it as yet another opportunity for growth, and taking on something new. Looking forward to following the journey!
    xo

    ReplyDelete