Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Why Bikram Yoga?

I first heard of Bikram yoga from a co-worker who swore by it. She had had a bad ankle and knee for years and the only thing that allowed her to walk pain free was heat and yoga. When I found out there was a Bikram studio in White Rock, BC, where I used to live, I gave it a shot! I nearly died my first class. I felt like throwing up and almost passed out. I could only do about half the postures, but left feeling beautiful and energized. I was hooked!

Since then I started going once or twice a week. At first I noticed improvements in my flexibility, stamina and strength as well as my patience and focus. Even more exciting were the benefits to my sleep and digestion. I no longer needed 8 or 9 hours of sleep and my cravings for naughty foods were gone. I craved salad in the morning and fresh fruits and veggies all day! But, after stopping for a few months when things got really hectic at school, I felt disgusting - lethargic, grumpy, and stiff. I'm hoping this jump-start will get me back on track so I can switch to the maintenance stage (2-3 times a week).

When practiced regularly, Bikram yoga helps improve, if not heal, problems of alignment, rheumatoid and osteoarthritis, diabetes, heart disease, asthma, insomnia, high and low blood pressure and more. Additionally, it helps with weight loss, relaxation, muscle strength and tone and increased balance and coordination. The idea that we can heal ourselves, without doctors, prescriptions and medicines really appeals to me. I hope that my good efforts now will serve me well in the long run.

There are some downsides to Bikram too. I sweat all the time now and almost instantaneously. Apparently this means I'm healthy, but I think it's gross. What's more, my laundry bill has increased. I have to wash all my gear after each and every class and boy does it stink! And usually the room smells too. You really have to get used to standing close to a stranger who is sweating buckets, farting, or any other normal (but nasty) bodily function.

Of course these negatives are outweighed by the aforementioned health benefits. Other perks include cute yoga gear and hot bodies ;)

For more information about the practice and its benefits click here!

Namaste!

2 comments:

  1. You almost have me convinced to give Bikram yoga a try! Being about as flexible as a steel rod, I'm really terrible at yoga (which is all the more reason to start, I suppose). Plus I don't like being shweaty. But the passion behind your blog posts has made me wonder. I think I will look into it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! You should... but perhaps my latest post will deter you. Haha...

    In any case, give it a shot! Being sweaty is gross at first, but it really detoxifies you... leaves you feel absolutely gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete